Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Fancy Dessert



It has been a while since I have posted a recipe, and I made one of my favorites over the holidays so I thought I should share. I am still not cooking quite as much as I used to because of Baby Barnard, but that should change soon when I enter the second trimester which is any day now! But, back to the recipe...A friend shared this with me in college and I have since continued to evolve this recipe a bit at a time. I also made this for the staff Christmas party in 07' and it was a major hit with many of the women calling the next week for the recipe! I hope you enjoy this too.
There isn't a real name for this dessert so let's just call it the Fancy Dessert! It is angel food cake, topped with a caramel sauce, whipping cream, ice-cream and fresh berries.
Layer the following in any order (but I would suggest cake first):
  • 1 Angel Food Cake (I make my own Chocolate / Cinnamon angel food cake, but if you want to cut out a step, you could purchase one too)
  • Drizzle Caramel Sauce over the cake
  • add a scoop of vanilla ice-cream
  • add berries (I buy frozen berries and let them defrost so they have a softer texture and a little juice but you haven't added any sugar to them at all)
  • Add whipping cream and another layer of caramel sauce if you want
To make the caramel sauce:
3/4 stick butter
approx. 1/2 to 3/4 c. brown sugar (to taste)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
stir over the stove until heated through, but be careful not to turn the burner up too high as this can burn easily.

To make the Whipping Cream:
One small carton whipping cream
cinnamon to taste (approx 1/4 tsp)
nutmeg to taste (approx 1/8-1/4 tsp)
Sugar or honey to taste (approx 4 tablespoons)
We use one of these gadgets at our house, but you can also use a beater until it is the consistency you want. I would highly recommend making it yourself though, this tastes soooo much better than cool-whip!

No comments:

Post a Comment